Join our doughty Fellowship of Podcasters as they level up and discuss Tolkien’s high fantasy novel at almost as slow a pace as Frodo’s quest to destroy the Ring.
In this second episode, Teddard, Nadia, Shellfish and Bina007 discuss the events of Book Two of The Fellowship of The Ring: The Journey of the Nine Companions / The Ring Goes South.
Beware of Spoilers: This podcast discusses Lord of the Rings, The Hobbit and the Silmarillion in detail.
02:00 Nadia leads a discussion on Books 1-2, Many Meetings and The Council of Elrond, in which we debate whether:
- The Elf Bard is the “asshole of the year”
- Sauron shows his hand in sending an emissary to the dwarves
- Gandalf sends Balin into Moria for no reason at all
47:45 Shellfish leads a discussion on Books 3-6: The Ring Goes South, A Journey In the Dark, and The Bridge of Khazad-Dum, in which we discuss
- Which fantasy sword has the coolest name
- Whether Legolas is a jerk (Shellfish has a beef with Elves)
- Frodo’s hobby of “getting stabbed by new and exotic things”
- Whether the Balrog has wings
1:13:55 Teddard leads a discussion on Books 7-8: Lothlorien and the Mirror of Galadriel:
- “there seems to be this bird called Galadriel, and she seems to be quite important”
- Is Sauron drawing Frodo toward the Mirror of Galadriel?
- Is Nadia the Samwise Gamgee of Vassals of Kingsgrave?
1:23:00 Bina007 leads a discussion on Books 9-10: The Great River & The Breaking of the Fellowship in which we discuss:
- Tolkien clearly not caring as much about food as George R R Martin
- Yet more Legolas hate from Shellfish
- And accusations that Elrond is basically incompetent in how he sets up the Fellowship!
- The nature of Boromir’s corruption.
1:40:00 Closing thoughts on Book Two and a special song for Shellfish.
Edited by Bina007 using music from the Brobdingnangian Bards’ album Memories of Middle Earth.
- VoK 50: Lord of the Rings – The Fellowship of The Ring – Book 1 (vokpodcast.wordpress.com)
- VoK 43: The Hobbit, an Expected Podcast (vokpodcast.wordpress.com)